Cross Way Church was established in 2005 following the decision of Seaford Methodist Church and Seaford United Reformed Church to unite. Initially both church buildings were retained with The Methodist Church on Steyne Road being used as The Worship Centre and The United Reformed Church on Clinton Place being used as a Community and Outreach Centre.
In 2019 Steyne Road was sold to Kings Church Seaford and Cross Way Church moved worship and all other church activities to Clinton Place where plans were already underway to further develop and improve the building to create modern, light, airy, well connected spaces that will provide Church and Community organisations with excellent facilities for many years to come.
Our Mission Statement
Cross Way serves the Local and Wider Community. Our Mission is to be an inclusive Christian Community - a sign of God’s presence, sharing God’s love, pursuing justice, peace and a renewed vision of hope for all people, encouraging them to be followers of our saviour Jesus Christ. Our abbreviated purpose is to ‘Know, Love and Serve the Lord through Christian outreach’.
Our Church Building
Built in 1877, Clinton Place was designed by WF Poulton, a specialist in nonconformist church architecture. Its quirky appeal attracted the attention of renowned art scholar Sir Nikolaus Pevsner who described it as ‘In a handsome lancet style, but with a turret so funny and so daring that it can only be High Victorian. It develops out of two angle buttresses and is very thin.’ (The Buildings of England, Sussex East; 1965, reprinted 2019).
The turret was considerably disturbed during the great storm of 1987 and records suggest it was reconstructed from the stone base upwards. The church walls are constructed in knapped flint blocks. The window reveals, door reveals and quoins and dressings are limestone.